Well I've officially been in North
Carolina for an entire week now. And what a week it’s been. Unfortunately not
the best impression on me thus far. Mom and I started our journey east on
Thursday, which happened to be the same day as the Midwest's first snowstorm. Driving my little
Malibu and mom in her Highlander jammed packed with as much as possible,
through snowstorms and black ice, for 9 straight hours to our hotel in
Louisville, Kentucky was definitely not an ideal start to my newest life
chapter. After eating at
an amazing, and fairly authentic Mexican restaurant and a much too short night of relaxing,
we were on the road again. Yet again we ran into snow, but this time it was a
beautiful covering over the amazing landscape of Kentucky, parts of Tennessee and finally through the Smokies and
on into North Carolina. What a relief to finally be in the right state and out
of snow!
Two more hours and mom and I finally made it to Charlotte,
complete with crazy drivers and wide diversity. To my surprise, the apartment I
will be calling home for at least the next eight months is located in a
high-end neighborhood. The place itself, we've come to learn, not so much. On
arrival we signed the lease and what we intended to be a quick look over before
finally grabbing something to eat turned into a 20
minute examination of what was wrong with the place. Carpet still wet, heater
not kicking on, crappy paint job, and my favorite, dead bugs in the kitchen cabinets. Over the next few days
mom and I frequently visited the leasing office to fix my random useless
outlets, the bathroom fan (which apparently never even had a fan in it), hole
in the wall (formed by mom barely touching a crack, complete with a hollow
space where some mysterious animal is sharing the wall with me) and a broken
smoke alarm. After two days of scrubbing, furniture shopping (we have
discovered Ikea's wonderful low budget solution- including their in-store
dining area), and decorating, this apartment finally feels like home.
My new roommate, Peter
|
Looks great Audrey!! I just might have to come down and visit! I have always wanted to go to NC and now I have a reason!
ReplyDeleteSo proud of you aud. looks like a great place!
ReplyDelete