It has been entirely too long since I've written anything of
meaning on this blog. I've got a lot of
catching up to do about the events that have happened since the U2 concert. Kansas City was full of never
ending excitement. Concerts, baseball games, the zoo, coffee shops, new friendships. I never expected to get too attached to
this city. After all, it is in "hick" Missouri and whats so great
about that state besides the Cards! I've always dreamed of the mountains in
Colorado or California or even beautiful western South Dakota. But I find
myself dearly missing the excitement of the easily accessable downtown, as well as the laid back living in the beautiful
countryside I was blessed to be surrounded by the
last few months. With an upcoming interview for an internship with the Royals,
one can always hope to make it back to
such a wonderful city.
Now to the main purpose of this post: dad and mine's roadtrip to St. Louis.
With only a week left of home Cardinals games and having not made it to any
games all season, I eased dad into the idea of taking me down for the Cubs
Cards series over the weekend. To my surprise ,he offered to take me to both
Saturday and Sunday! It was fan appreciation weekend, the Cards
were only a few games back from the Wild Card race,
and Pujols was 2 RBIs away from reaching 100 for the season. These were huge
games, a great way to end the baseball season.
We left Friday right after work, weird getting off and coming home
at the same time as my parents. It feels good to
start getting into the habbit of having a full time job after taking the summer
off without one. On the way up we listened to the Cards lose to the Cubs and
jammed out to a music station we are surprisingly both
quite content to listen to. Arrived at Aunt Georgia's late that night catching
up on life and the newly weds Rebecca and Keith. So happy they have come so far
despite everything. I'm sure this past year will only making them stronger.
Early rising Saturday to make sure we got to the city in plenty of
time to catch the first pitch at 12:40p. We were sitting in the nosebleed
section off the firstbase sideline. I wasn't expecting to be able to make out
much on the field, but fortunately there isn't a bad seat in Busch stadium and
we were able to see the game perfectly. Quick innings and few hits left the
score at 1 to 0 Cubs going into the bottom of the 9th.
| That's a winner! Crazy, amazing end to a ballgame :) |
| View from our seats |
After the game dad, me and Mark (a fellow Ottumwan I had found out
was going to the game and met up with for an inning) went to Lumiere Place
Casino for a bit of gambling. Georgia came down to meet us and, as we're both
not really into gambling, we said goodbye to Mark and headed out for supper at
Big Daddy's down the road. Afterwards we stopped by Rebecca and Keith's
apartment to wish them the best. After a long, difficult year it is great to
see them moving along so strongly. Ended up being a quick visit as dad's
beloved Tigers were on. We had to rush home to see them get beat by OU once
again.
Sunday we didn't have to leave quite as early so we were able to
spend some quality time with Georgia and Steve. Seats today were much closer,
can actually make out their faces! Again another amazing game, finally seeing a
home run by Yadi and another Cards win over the Cubs! Also, since we were at
the last game of the season we got to witness a couple of Busch traditions:
letting a bald eagle fly around the stadium pre-game as well as singing the
National Anthem a capella. I had goosebumps the entire time, very moving
experience.
| Another Cards win |
After the win dad and I booked it out of there in time to meet
Jenna in Kirksville for supper. Dad made us eat at Pagliai's Pizza, a lifetime
favorite, and gave Jenna a bit of advice on things to do in Kirksville.
Another great weekend, even without traveling all over the world
|
No comments:
Post a Comment