Sunday, July 17, 2011

It's a Beautiful Day


Here is a brief description of the weekend I am still (and probably always will be) in disbelief about:


550 miles. 3 concerts. 100 pictures. 8 beers. 2 crown & sprites. 2 gallons of water. 4 cups of coffee. 8 new friends. 1 old friend. 1 chat with Gavin DeGraw. 4 hours of waiting. 15 feet from U2.  1 Hawaii license plate. 3 gas stops. 1 unforgettable weekend.


Friday, July 15
Friday night had finally came. It was time to head out to Power and Light for yet another free concert, this time with Gavin DeGraw. Started out as an adventure alone but quickly met up with a group of interesting young men - one a young ER doctor, another from Australia, and the last rocking a Japanese Star Wars shirt - the reason these new acquaintances came about. Conversations of music and traveling quickly passed the time until the opener, a local band, took the stage. After their performance my newly found friends took off for a rave, and I was left to concert go alone once more. Finding a spot only a few rows from the front, I quickly met another lone concert goer who had flown in from Boston to watch Gavin's tours around Missouri. We rocked out to many new songs, but was able to sing along to hits such as 'Chariot' and 'Follow Through.' We had a short lived failed attempt at meeting Gavin before moving on to enjoy yet another long and epic night out at P&L. Before saying goodbye, I had quickly agreed to join my new friend from Boston for another free Gavin performance the next night  in downtown St. Louis. See you Saturday Gavin!


Have a listen to once of Gavin's songs: Gavin DeGraw - Follow Through

Saturday, July 16
A late start put me in St. Louis around 7:30pm Saturday night. After a quick visit with my cousin and his kids, I called up my friend interning with the Rams and agreed to meet him under the arch - where I had assumed the concert was. We showed up to a crowd of people enjoying the weather but couldn't find a stage. Wandered up into the heart of the city a few blocks before figuring out the exact location. Managed to show up right on time, and enjoyed the concert from a few yards back. Gavin seemed to like this crowd better and even added on a solo performance of my favorite song, Belief. We met up with my new friend after the show and met two girls she had just met who attended SLU. We hung around and were lucky enough to meet the guitarist and drummer before heading out to the Dubliner, a bar rumored Gavin would show up at. After almost a full night of getting to know these new, amazing people and forgetting about the reason we came to this bar in the first place, we went out to the dance floor and spotted the band! Meeting Gavin and seeing everyone's faces light up was a perfect ending to an already fantastic night. 

Gavin DeGraw
Sunday, July 17
Sunday morning wake up call to the boys playing. It felt good to get an early start to the day after Saturdays nonproductive morning. A quick run around the gorgeous neighborhood left me worried about handling the heat during the concert, and inspired me to drink about 6 cups of water before heading into the city. To continue the routine when visiting Busch Stadium, I parked at Union Station and grabbed a Charley's Grilled Sub for supper. I then made the long walk up to the stadium anxious to see how long of a line had already formed. The area was packed with about 700 fans already lined up, excited to only have one more hour of waiting before gates opened. General admission were only allowed through Gate 5 on the northeast side - the area with the best view into the stadium. I probably stood by the gates for about 5 min staring at the transformation of the field to make room for the stage. It was unbelievably awesome. As the crowd got denser, I hurried up to grab a place in line, moving out from time to time to fill up my water and get a quick sprinkle from the water facets set up in the road. 


Waiting for gates to open
Five o'clock rolled around and gates opened right on schedule. Very smooth entrance into the stadium with surprisingly lax security, I snapped a few pictures before heading down to the field to see how close I could maneuver myself. Having come in with the mindset of standing clear back by the pitching mound (stage was set up in left field) I was shocked to find myself in the front section only a few yards from the main stage. I managed to follow a group of stealthy young concert goers who guided me directly in front of Bono's microphone. From there I spotted an opening a few yards up and maneuvered my way around until I was just three people back from the stage. I was literally shaking from a combination of emotions running wild - shock, excitement, awe.  Fifteen feet from the stage of a U2 concert, walking along the field of Busch Stadium - these are experiences I can hardly even imagine happening in my lifetime, let alone at the exact same moment. I was realizing how blessed I was to be part of one of St. Louis' largest concerts ever, and experience one of the most talented bands perform at one of my favorite places in the world!! Being out on that field, seeing the view the Cardinals' players see, was already amazing and no one had even performed yet! Interpol went on around 7:20pm and played a few songs to fill up an hour or so of our time. Didn't know a single one of their songs, but it was a fun way to get us opening up to rock out with all the strangers around us. It wasn't until about 9:10pm until we finally heard the familiar sounds of U2.  Opening with 'Even Better than the Real Thing' instantly energized the crowd, going wild with the first sightings of each player, first Larry then Adam, the Edge, and Bono. I couldn't believe it, I could make out every detail on their faces and had an ideal view. The concert was one of the most amazing experiences I have ever had - the space-age like 360° 'claw' stage, the Irish rock band's confidence in their stellar performance, the massive lights and 360° overhead screen, the band's involvement with the crowd (including Bono grabbing a group of boys from the floor who had body painted 360° tour on themselves, mixed up the letters once on stage but no one cared - and later grabbing a boy of about 9), and 53,000 fans to share it with so I never noticed I was by myself. Other points about the concert I'll never forget - singing Streets with No Name dedicating it to those from Joplin, Mo and finding out the two people in front of me were from there, I could hear Bono singing and talking when he wasn't in the microphone, at one point he sprayed out his water to the crowd and I got some on me! haha, and lastly at the end of the concert The Edge definitely gave me a thumbs up (or at least someone right around me, in my mind he was looking at me! haha).


Here's an attempt at sharing with you the incredible experience of watching this band perform: U2 - I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For 




Setlist for the U2 360° Tour at Busch Stadium
Even Better Than The Real Thing
The Fly
Mysterious Ways
Until The End Of The World
I Will Follow
Get On Your Boots
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For into Many Rivers To Cross (snippet)
Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
Beautiful Day into Space Oddity (snippet)
Elevation
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
Miss Sarajevo
Zooropa
City Of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Scarlet
Walk On


Encore 1
One
Hallelujah (snippet) into Where The Streets Have No Name
Encore 2
Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
With Or Without You
Moment of Surrender


Here are a few more pictures from the weekend




Ian O'Neill on drums

Billy Norris on guitar

the stage

Maneuvered my way up to this spot!

SO HOT!

...and managed to get even closer than this!

Standing on the field of Busch!

Interpol

Paul Banks







No comments:

Post a Comment